Re: elisp-index-search on current word

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: elisp-index-search on current word
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 20:49:45 -0600

Xah wrote:
On Oct 8, 7:21 am, Andy Stewart <lazycat.mana...@gmail.com> wrote:
Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> writes:
Xahwrote:
when i do elisp-index-search, is there a way to make the default
choice the symbol the cursor is on?
(defadvice elisp-index-search (before interactive-default activate)
  "Provide the symbol at point as the default when reading TOPIC interactively."
  (interactive (list (read-string "Topic: " nil nil (thing-at-point 'symbol)))))
(defun elisp-index-search+ ()
  "Look up TOPIC in the indices of the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual."
  (interactive)
  (let (topic)
    (setq topic (read-string (concat "Subject to look up: ") nil nil
(symbol-name (symbol-at-point))))
    (funcall 'switch-to-buffer-other-window nil)
    (info "elisp")
    (Info-index topic)))

Thierry wrote:
,----
| (defun tv-get-index-at-point ()
|   (interactive)
|   (let ((expr (thing-at-point 'sexp)))
|     (elisp-index-search expr)))
`----

among the 3 suggestions, it seems only Thierry's version works for me.

What happens when you call my version or Andy's version?

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA