Re: elisp-index-search on current word

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: elisp-index-search on current word
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 15:54:24 +0200

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

>>> (defun elisp-index-search+ ()
>>>   "Look up TOPIC in the indices of the Emacs Lisp Reference Manual."
>>>   (interactive)
>>>   (let (topic)
>>>     (setq topic (read-string (concat "Subject to look up: ") nil nil
>>> (symbol-name (symbol-at-point))))
>>>     (funcall 'switch-to-buffer-other-window nil)
>>>     (info "elisp")
>>>     (Info-index topic)))
>>
>> Thierry wrote:
>> ,----
>> | (defun tv-get-index-at-point ()
>> |   (interactive)
>> |   (let ((expr (thing-at-point 'sexp)))
>> |     (elisp-index-search expr)))
>> `----
>>
>> among the 3 suggestions, it seems only Thierry's version works for me.
>>
>> is there a reason why it shouldn't prompt for current symbol?
> No you can have a prompt, (use <arrow down> to display thing-at-point)
>
> ,----
> | (defun tv-get-index-at-point (expr)
> |   (interactive
> |    (list (read-from-minibuffer "Search: "
> |                                nil
> |                                nil
> |                                nil
> |                                nil
> |                                (thing-at-point 'sexp))))
> |   (elisp-index-search expr))
> `----

Would it be possible to have the thing at point displayed like most
defaults when you call the function? e.g If you hit search in most
editors one would normally see the word at point or region preselected
in the "search" field.

--
I think I should not go far wrong if I asserted that the amount of genuine
leisure available in a society is generally in inverse proportion to the amount