Re: split screen horizontally into three equally spaced sections

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: split screen horizontally into three equally spaced sections
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:10:17 +0200

Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:
> "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, in winsize.el that comes with nXhtml.
>
> If you don't mind me asking, but why does it?
>
> It sounds very interesting and useful beyond nxhtml.  Why isn't it
> packaged on it's own?

Because I do not have time to do it in another way. I constantly fix
small bugs that I find and then it just takes to much time uploading a
file to different places.

I do not think it is a problem any more since you can easily get a
single file from the nXhtml repository at Launchpad.

> (I'm a bit bothered by big modes that do everything.  ECB forces its own
> window configuration.  The Ruby on Rails mode has its own snippet
> mechanism.  I feel that such bundling limits the overall usefulness.)

I really feel the opposite! Not bundling things can make things take
forever to setup.

In the particular case of winsize.el this is not the case of course, but
when it comes to more complex things then I definitively prefer
bundling. Remember that complexity tends to grow exponentially with the
number of involved things.

Bundling lowers the number of possible combinations without any serious
restrictions. Any user who prefer shooting themselves in the foot are
free to do so, but those who do not have time with it can use the bundle ;-)

More seriously another mechanism for bundling would be better.  A very
good sysstem for version control and dependencies is what I would prefer
- if someone has time to write it, test it, etc. And of course get
people to use it, mark all old dependencies ...