Ubuntu synaptic - which packages to install

From: Graham Smith
Subject: Ubuntu synaptic - which packages to install
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 09:56:17 +0100

Silly question really, but there seems to be several choices of what
to install. I have been using Emacs on Win and the Mac, so would
prefer the version with the toolbar,   There is a "metapackage"
option, which is tempting as it suggests it will install everything,
but if some one is familiar with the ubuntu synaptic offerings I would
appreciate a bit of guidance.

I will also be installing auctex and ESS, which I see are both
available via synaptic.

Thanks Graham