Re: How do I highlight word at point?

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: How do I highlight word at point?
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 18:19:56 +0200

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:

> Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:
>
>> Please include the full question in the body of the post too in future
>> posts.  It makes things much easier to read in some environments :-)
>
> eh ? what kind of environment are you using ?
>
> It looks like it's high time to update ;)

In Gnus you can just step through unread articles with SPC.  Normally
the subject is pretty unimportant, so it doubles the "work", if you have
to look up and read the subject.  Especially when

>>> The title pretty much said it. :)

has the same amount of characters as the question.  So it didn't save
any time or space to not put the question there.

>> I think what you asked may be done by typing `M-b M-@'.
>>

> M-b is bind to 'backward-word'.
>
> Which function 'M-b M-@' is bind in your "special" environment ?

In the /standard/ environment this does `backward-word' then
`mark-word', which puts the region around the current word.

But maybe the OP wanted to highlight occurrences of the word, not move
the region.  I've written code for that here:

http://nschum.de/src/emacs/highlight-symbol/

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher