Re: Loading large/multiple tags files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Loading large/multiple tags files
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:45:25 +0200

> From: Xah <xahlee@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:10:47 -0700 (PDT)
>
> does many people use this tags?

How else do you jump to a definition of a function, macro, typedef,
class, etc., with a single command?

I really don't understand how can a fairly large project be developed
without TAGS.

(Another necessary component of any reasonable Emacs-based IDE is
ID-Utils and its Emacs interface "M-x gid".)

> one time i tried to read the manual to see what the heck it is, then
> it say i need to run some command line tool to compile it first, at
> which point i think i stopped.

Well, you also need to run a "command line tool" to compile the
program.  With a bit of simple Make magic, the same command will
automatically update the tag tables for you.