Re: how to learn lisp

From: TheFlyingDutchman
Subject: Re: how to learn lisp
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:36:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 12, 9:34 pm, "jacklisp" <jackl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> how to learn lisp

I have studied the Emacs Lisp manual on more than one occassion and
never got much past evaluating (+ 2 2) in a buffer. But recently I was
looking to modify my .emacs file and came across something that I
wasn't aware of that I find very helpful for learning the Lisp part of
Emacs Lisp (as opposed to the "Emacs API" part of Emacs Lisp). So if
you haven't seen it yet, there is a -batch option for starting up
Emacs. If you create an Emacs Lisp file, for example - hello_world.el
- you can then execute this file in the same manner you would execute
a Perl/Python/Ruby/Tcl script by typing "emacs -batch -l
hello_world.el". In batch mode the (message ... ) function acts like a
print/printf statement in other languages, so you can start with
(message "%s" "hello world") and go on from there the way you
typically would learning a standalone language.