Re: Loading large/multiple tags files

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Re: Loading large/multiple tags files
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 01:07:04 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: Xah <xahlee@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:10:47 -0700 (PDT)

does many people use this tags?

How else do you jump to a definition of a function, macro, typedef,
class, etc., with a single command?

I really don't understand how can a fairly large project be developed
without TAGS.

(Another necessary component of any reasonable Emacs-based IDE is
ID-Utils and its Emacs interface "M-x gid".)

one time i tried to read the manual to see what the heck it is, then
it say i need to run some command line tool to compile it first, at
which point i think i stopped.

Well, you also need to run a "command line tool" to compile the
program.  With a bit of simple Make magic, the same command will
automatically update the tag tables for you.

I believe etags is part of the emacs distribution, I am actually quite
shure :0)

M-! etags -R *
in the root dir
M-.
1 or 2 more Enter and that's it.

It's easier then moving the cursor around with the control keys as a novice.

-ap