Re: how to learn lisp

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: how to learn lisp
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 02:25:26 +0200

Hi,

   > you haven't seen it yet, there is a -batch option for starting up
   > Emacs. If you create an Emacs Lisp file, for example - hello_world.el
   > - you can then execute this file in the same manner you would execute
   > a Perl/Python/Ruby/Tcl script by typing "emacs -batch -l
   > hello_world.el".

   An alternative and useful way to start playing with elisp that is faster
   than running scripts with batch mode is IELM mod (e.g. m-x ielm). It
   provides an elisp REPL where you can evaluate various elisp forms.

I second that. This is the best tool to start with when learning.
I did that way a long time ago.

-batch option is, IMO, a bad idea for a beginner since the user
 has to know what -batch implies internally (what it does, what
 it can't do, etc.).

Regards

        Xavier
--