Re: Emacs Wiki Revision History

From: Paul R
Subject: Re: Emacs Wiki Revision History
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:26:36 +0200

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:55:22 -0700 (PDT), Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> said:
Xah> (2) The content, is kinda haphazard. It is somewhat in-between of
Xah> a encyclopedia-style treatment like Wikipedia and a chaotic
Xah> online forum. Specifically, when you visit a article, half of
Xah> article will be dialogues between different users on tips or
Xah> issues or preferences.

This is the only statement I can agree with. But AFAICT, Alex has been
most of the time on his own to create and maintain emacswiki software.
I guess he would welcome some help concerning hosting, development or
administration.

Also, Wikipedia success is mostly unrelated to the wiki engine sitting
below. MediaWiki would be a poor choice for emacswiki, IMO.

Alex, have you considered using a third party wiki engine for emacs
wiki before ? Is there a page where you state your current position on
that ? The only thing I feel concerned about oddmuse is the time you
may have to spend to maintain it, although I have no idea whether it
is high or low, and whether you enjoy doing it or not. In case you are
looking for a good quality free software package that could maybe run
emacswiki, I would point to DokuWiki. Light and powerfull, no
database, very good parsing capabilities hence easy-to-write plugins
for various syntax enhencements. Some dokuwiki-syntax modes are
already around. In many ways it shares design patterns with oddmuse.
I had very good experiences with it for various purposes, and although
I usually have some scepticism with "cool php software", I must admit
this one is reliable and very well written.

In the meantime, thank you Alex for running emacswiki, a precious
ressource.

--
  Paul

http://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki