Re: line-move-visual?

From: Xah
Subject: Re: line-move-visual?
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:12:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 22, 1:24 pm, Leo <sdl....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> It looks the change that C-n and C-p now move by screen lines are pretty
> big. Any idea why this has been set as default? What's the user case for
> this?

Do you mean to say that in the dev version of emacs, now up/down arrow
key moves the cursor by a screen line instead of moving by EOL char?

Hurray! One critical emacs modernization down, few more to go!

http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization.html

-----------------

as answer to your question, moving by screen line is more natural, and
is the behavior by all modern software. I don't know if this is how
emacs developers felt when the change is made, but probably similar.

the moving by screen line is a frequently requested feature, poping up
every couple of months in gnu.emacs.help or comp.emacs.

btw, what's the behavior of kill-line? Does it do screen line or EOL
line?

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/