Re: ^M characters

From: Mike Treseler
Subject: Re: ^M characters
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:32:54 -0700

Xah wrote:

> When you paste some code involving different EOL char, most editor
> deal with this by simply converting them to your current EOL. Usually
> they have a preference setting to indicate whether you want this to
> happen automatically or literal. I think emacs should also adapt this
> behavior.

When I run across such a text file,
I use hex-mode to see what is going on.
In every case I have seen, the problem
is due to a malformed end-of-line pattern.

Emacs recognizes and hides standard end-of-line patterns
if they are use consistently.

MAC-like  (CR)
DOS-like  (CR+LF)
Unix-like (LF)

Corey's file probably has the end-of-line pattern
CR+CR+LF where the first CR is printed ^M
while the CR+LF is interpreted as a DOS end-of-line and hidden.

In this case I would do

(buffer-to-unix)

to fix up the end-of-lines
and then a query-replace of the ^M characters to nothing.

       -- Mike Treseler

Corey, see also:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/EOLstory.txt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline