Re: Emacs Wiki Revision History

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: Emacs Wiki Revision History
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 04:05:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 21, 9:01 pm, Xah <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> PS i should've mentioned in previous post, Alex, you really should be
> the one. You already started it, and it has become a very useful
> website. I am somewhat familiar with your knowledge in sql and elisp
> and perl. I think it would take just a day, if you wanted to, to
> switch it to MediaWiki. That is to say, i don't think tech know-how is
> in the way. I do think switching to MediaWiki is a major benefit, and
> thank you for starting emacswiki in the first place.

Unfortunately, that is not true at all. I've been to various wiki
symposiums and I've spoken to the main developers of many wiki engines
including the guys from Mediawiki and Dokuwiki. I know of performance
issues, scaling issues, caching issues, proxy issues, text formatting
rule incompatibility, and so on.

This is a step in the wrong direction from my perspective. And it's a
huge effort as far as I can tell. I'm not going to invest a single
second for this perceived loss of value. I'm just posting my reactions
here in the hopes of silencing any speculations and spelling out what
future volunteers will need to consider.