Re: how can I get rid of the message in the scratch

From: Thorsten Bonow
Subject: Re: how can I get rid of the message in the scratch
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:14:02 +0200

>>>>> "JimmyWu" == JimmyWu  <frozenthrone88@gmail.com> writes:

    JimmyWu> when I strat Emacs,there is always a short message in the
    JimmyWu> scratch,like that
    JimmyWu> ;; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for Lisp
    JimmyWu> ;; evaluation.  If you want to create a file, visit that file with
    JimmyWu> ;; C-x C-f, then enter the text in that file's own buffer.
    JimmyWu> how could I get rid of it?  thx -- Jimmy Wu

M-x customize-apropos "scratch" lead to the variable "initial-scratch-message".

The next is copied from *Help*:

---------------------------------
initial-scratch-message is a variable defined in `startup.el'.
Its value is
";; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for Lisp
evaluation.\n;; If you want to create a file, visit that file with C-x C-f,\n;;
then enter the text in that file's own buffer.\n\n"

Documentation:
Initial message displayed in *scratch* buffer at startup.
If this is nil, no message will be displayed.
If `inhibit-startup-screen' is non-nil, then no message is displayed,
regardless of the value of this variable.

You can customize this variable.

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www.withouthat.org/~toto/contact.html

I'd often felt that a man without a woman was like a neck without a
pain.

Friedman, Kinky (1993), Greenwich Killing Time. New York (Wings
Books), 24