Re: Binding C-i without losing <tab> functionality

From: jeep
Subject: Re: Binding C-i without losing <tab> functionality
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 08:32:40 -0700 (PDT)

> Some devices are known to treat C-i and TAB as the same signal, as
> well as C-m and RET. I think this is why it is not so easy to
> dissociate them in emacs, even when your device allows it.

I can disassociate them... if I set them both. My understanding is
that
C-i and <tab> are both, by default, set to ASCII character 9, which is
given the notation TAB.

If I set both "C-i" and "<tab>", then C-i and the tab key do different
things.
Unfortunately, many modes bind the tab key differently. I want to keep
all those other bindings while reassigning C-i.

It's the same thing with <return> and C-m. They are both aliased to
RET (ASCII 13).  But the following code works fine:
  (global-set-key [return] 'newline)
  (global-set-key [?\C-m] 'open-line)

I don't know how to make one different than the other without binding
them both. The <tab> is so useful, I don't want to globally rebind it.
I only want C-i rebound.

-JEEP