Re: How to bind <lwindow>-; with a function on windows?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: How to bind <lwindow>-; with a function on windows?
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 23:13:29 +0100

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 5:23 PM, B. T. Raven <nihil@nihilo.net> wrote:
> anhnmncb wrote:
>>
>> When I type M-x global-set-key RET, then press <lwindow>, the help
>> window pops up and show:
>>
>> <rwindow> runs the command ignore, which is an interactive compiled
>> Lisp function in `subr.el'.
>>
>> It is bound to <mouse-movement>, <language-change>, <lwindow>,
>> <rwindow>.
>>
>> I have no chance to press <lwindow>-; to function. Type them in emacs
>> window just produce a ;.
>>

> If you put this in your .emacs:
>
> (setq w32-pass-lwindow-to-system nil
>      w32-pass-rwindow-to-system nil
>      w32-pass-apps-to-system    nil
>      w32-lwindow-modifier       'super   ;; Left Windows
>      w32-rwindow-modifier       'super   ;; Right Windows
>      w32-apps-modifier          'hyper)  ;; App-Menu (key to right of Right
> Windows)
>
> then you will be able to use these bottom row keys as modifiers but you
> still won't be able to bind a function to the bare key (lwindow for
> example). You could however bind the function to Super- [a through z] or
> even combinations of Ctl, Meta, Super, and Hyper:
>
> (global-set-key [(super w)] 'foo)
>
> As Lennart notes there are some combinations that Windows will trap at the
> OS level but some of these are useful. Alt-tab will switch focus between
> emacs and some other app from which you may want to copy-paste for example.

There are more combinations than Alt-Tab that Windows will trap. For
example on my pc if I do

  (global-set-key [(super ?e)]
       (lambda() (interactive) (message "called super E")))

This does not work, lwindow+e will still show Windows Explorer.

That is correct according to MS documentation which says you can not
rely on rebinding lwindow/rwindow without a low level keyboard hook.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.