RE: documentation

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: documentation
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 16:06:58 -0700

> I'm trying my hand at juggling etc/NEWS, doc/lispref/*.texi and the
> elisp files of CVS Emacs.  I am familiar with C-h v and C-h f,
> find-library and locate-library ... but does anyone have any advice or
> technique one could share with me in navigating NEWS, .texi and .el?

Others will no doubt have additional suggestions (e.g. for texi files).

* For NEWS, you can use `outline-minor-mode' or `outline-mode'. See the Emacs
manual, node Outline Mode. If you use `Help > Emacs News' (`C-h n') to read the
NEWS, then you are automatically put in Outline mode and View mode. `C-h m' in
the NEWS buffer will also tell you about these modes.

* Emacs Tags and Imenu are great ways to navigate code, including Emacs-Lisp
code. See the Emacs manual, node Tags and node Imenu (see also node Defuns).

* Use `M-x grep' on the source code to find stuff. See node Grep Searching of
the Emacs manual.

* Icicles has lots of features that help you find your way around Emacs and
Emacs Lisp. I shamelessly ;-) recommend it as a way to learn about Emacs and
Emacs-Lisp code. This page explains how it can help:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsNewbieWithIcicles

* In addition to what is mentioned at that URL, Icicles has enhancements for
Tags, Imenu, `grep', etc. (to navigate Emacs-Lisp code), explained here:

** Tags:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Tags_Enhancements

** Imenu:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Other_Search_Commands#IciclesImenu

** other navigation enhancements (Info, bookmarks, search, grep, markers,...):
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Tripping