Re: How to bind <lwindow>-; with a function on windows?

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: How to bind <lwindow>-; with a function on windows?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:43:08 -0600

anhnmncb wrote:
"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

anhnmncb wrote:
When I type M-x global-set-key RET, then press <lwindow>, the help
window pops up and show:

<rwindow> runs the command ignore, which is an interactive compiled
Lisp function in `subr.el'.

It is bound to <mouse-movement>, <language-change>, <lwindow>,
<rwindow>.

I have no chance to press <lwindow>-; to function. Type them in emacs
window just produce a ;.

If you put this in your .emacs:

(setq w32-pass-lwindow-to-system nil
      w32-pass-rwindow-to-system nil
      w32-pass-apps-to-system    nil
      w32-lwindow-modifier       'super   ;; Left Windows
      w32-rwindow-modifier       'super   ;; Right Windows
      w32-apps-modifier          'hyper)  ;; App-Menu (key to right of
Right Windows)

then you will be able to use these bottom row keys as modifiers but
you still won't be able to bind a function to the bare key (lwindow
for example). You could however bind the function to Super- [a through
z] or even combinations of Ctl, Meta, Super, and Hyper:

(global-set-key [(super w)] 'foo)

As Lennart notes there are some combinations that Windows will trap at
the OS level but some of these are useful. Alt-tab will switch focus
between emacs and some other app from which you may want to copy-paste
for example.

Ed

Wow, it works, many thanks.

Good. Btw, I was wrong about M-f4 (alt-f4)which seems to unconditionally kill the current process in Windows. In Emacs that doesn't happen. Both C-F4 and M-F4 can be mapped to functions.

Ed