emacs cannot find cc-mode

From: mtakeshi
Subject: emacs cannot find cc-mode
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:57:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all. Im sorry if this is not the right place for this kind of
question, but i've ran out of options. Ive built emacs for opensolaris
and almost all is well, except that it cannot find most of the built-
in modes
i've added the emacs 'list' dir to the loadpath on startup and it
solved some of them, but it still cant load, for instance, cc-mode.
I know i can just download that mode and since its nowhere to be found
(at least not as a .el file), im thinking that there is something
wrong with my installation. finally, my question follows: where can i
set from where emacs lookup things that should be built-in?

thanks in advance