Re: emacs cannot find cc-mode

From: TheFlyingDutchman
Subject: Re: emacs cannot find cc-mode
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 01:55:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 28, 10:57 am, mtakeshi <takesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all. Im sorry if this is not the right place for this kind of
> question, but i've ran out of options. Ive built emacs for opensolaris
> and almost all is well, except that it cannot find most of the built-
> in modes
> i've added the emacs 'list' dir to the loadpath on startup and it
> solved some of them, but it still cant load, for instance, cc-mode.
> I know i can just download that mode and since its nowhere to be found
> (at least not as a .el file), im thinking that there is something
> wrong with my installation.

Did you download the Emacs you built from the GNU site:
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs

or is it something that came with the OpenSolaris distribution?  If it
is something that came with OpenSolaris I would recommend downloading
the version at GNU if you haven't already down so since it has cc-
mode.el as  I just downloaded emacs-22.3.tar.gz to my home directory
and after running

gunzip emacs-22.3.tar.gz
tar -xvf emacs-22.3.tar

cc-mode.el and cc-mode.elc are in:
~/emacs-22.3/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el
~/emacs-22.3./lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.elc

I didn't run the entire install since I am on a shared work machine,
but configure does create a Makefile in ~/emacs22-3/lisp that has an
entry for "cc-mode.el".

> finally, my question follows: where can i
> set from where emacs lookup things that should be built-in?

There are one or two site-wide (every Emacs user) init files (who's
names I can't recall) where I think you could add to the load-path
variable. Per this documentation you can also change a c header file
before building (but it should already point to the directories where
"built-in" .el files like cc-mode were installed) and also set an
ENVIRONMENT variable:.
load-path

The value of this variable is a list of directories to search when
directory name) or nil (which stands for the current working
directory).

The value of load-path is initialized from the environment variable
EMACSLOADPATH, if that exists; otherwise its default value is
specified in emacs/src/epaths.h when Emacs is built. Then the list is
expanded by adding subdirectories of the directories in the list.

The syntax of EMACSLOADPATH is the same as used for PATH; `:' (or `;',
according to the operating system) separates directory names, and `.'
is used for the current default directory. Here is an example of how
to set your EMACSLOADPATH variable from a csh .login file: