Changing Meta key M-x from Escape key

From: Vidyuth Kini
Subject: Changing Meta key M-x from Escape key
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 23:26:25 -0800 (PST)

hi,

I have been using Emacs for some time now but get very irritated with having
to use esc-x for M-x as my terminal has no Meta key.

I am using a MacBook Pro, and running Emacs under Terminal. in BASH.

How can i configure emacs to recognize alt-x, or fn-x (or any other
combination) for M-x as using escape causes me problems.

I have tried looking in several places but have not found a suitable answer
to do this simply.

Regards,

Vid