Re: Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Re: Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 23:52:41 +0100

jeep wrote:
On Nov 5, 9:46 am, Andreas Politz <poli...@fh-trier.de> wrote:
jeep wrote:
On Nov 4, 10:37 am, jeep <jeepeter...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am trying to enable flyspell mode and I'm having a problem. I'm
using GNU Emacs 22.3.1 on Windows XP and aspell. When I try to "M-x
flyspell-mode" in a buffer, I get the error message:
    Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error
(I've tried it in many different major modes including text,
Fundamental, Lisp...)
I don't see any other indication of what the problem could be. I can
us all the ispell commands (eg. I can M-$ to check the spelling of a
particular word). I originally thought that it might be a conflict
with all the configurations I've done, so I removed my _emacs file and
tried it from a base install and I eval'd this:
    (setq-default ispell-program-name "aspell")
Then I can M-$ to check the word, but I still cannot enable flyspell-
mode and it gives me the same error.
<snip>

Enable debug-on-error via 'M-x toggle-debug-on-error', then start flyspell-mode
again and examine the error.
If that does not work, try edebug. Open the file where flyspell-mode is
defined. Reeval the function with 'C-u C-M-x' and again, start flyspell-mode.
Now you are in edebug-mode. Hit Space till you get the error. Press 'i' to
enable debugging of the called function after point.

Thanks for helping me work through this:
Okay, here's what I've done and the results:
Enable debug-on-error, then start flyspell-mode
-- The *Messages* buffer shows:
        Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error

The flyspell-mode function catches all errors and gives this generic
error message. You could try to enable debug-on-error and eval this in
the scratch buffer :
(flyspell-mode-on)

edebug:
I opened .../lisp/textmodes/flyspell.el, hit C-u C-M-x, then M-x
flyspell-mode

The cursor has to be inside the flyspell-mode function for this to work.
(C-M-x evals the current function , with prefix it also installs the
debug routines.)
Alternatively this should enable edebug on all forms in the current buffer:
M-x edebug-all-defs
M-x eval-buffer

-ap
-- The *Messages* buffer shows:
        Edebug: edebug-anon0
        Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error
Then I hit space (point is at: (require 'ispell) and this displays in
mini-buffer and *Messages*:
        Result: ispell
Then I hit space again and point moves to the middle of the comments
in the header of flyspell.el.
Space again inserts a space

When I run emacs --Q, the behavior above is identical. (Which makes
sense to me since I've renamed my _emacs file... I'm glad to know
about the -Q switch, though.)

I don't know if this helps or hurts, but I downloaded a copy of
Version 23, took the same steps as my original e-mail outlined and it
works like a charm. Then I reverted back to 22.1 and it works, too. It
is beginning to look like I'm fighting a bug in 22.3. (I would have
tried 22.2, but didn't want to download it.) I even tried copying
flyspell.el from 22.1 to 22.3 and deleting the elc file. It didn't
work either. :(

I'd like to stick to a stable version... any suggestions about where
to go from here?

Thanks,
-JEEP