Re: What is the best way to get emacs23?

From: Brian Adkins
Subject: Re: What is the best way to get emacs23?
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 00:08:04 -0500

Mauricio <briqueabraque@yahoo.com> writes:

> Brian Adkins a écrit :
>> Mauricio <briqueabraque@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to use emacs23 in Ubuntu 8.10. What
>>> do you think is the best (or safest) way to do that?
>>
>> Here's what I did:
>> http://lojic.com/blog/2008/02/07/nice-fonts-for-gnu-emacs-on-ubuntu-linux/
>>

> Great. I didn't even know 22 was supposed to
> have nice fonts.

I think you may have misread the article. For example:

"I had heard that the new version of emacs (22) provided anti-aliased
fonts, but apparently I was mistaken."

"After making emacs from the cvs sources, it reports its version as
23.0.60.2."

In other words, I ended up building Emacs 23 to get nice fonts.

Of course, since that article, I've switched to Mac OSX as my primary
dev environment, so I just installed Carbon Emacs and everything works
fine :) I love Linux, but the time savings I get with OSX easily pays
for the additional cost for Mac hardware and OSX, so my use of Linux
is for servers only now.

--
Brian Adkins
http://www.lojic.com/