Re: Gnus: How to catch up huge newsgroups?

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Gnus: How to catch up huge newsgroups?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:17:25 +0100

On Mon, Nov 10 2008, Joe Fineman wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 04 2008, Joe Fineman wrote:
>>
>>> I run Gnus v5.10.6 under Emacs 21.3.1 under Windows XP (alas).
>>> Because Verizon has truncated its service, I recently signed on to
>>> a latitudinarian news server (Motzarella).  I find that four of the
>>> newsgroups I want to read come up with backlogs on the order of 30
>>> million postings.
>>
>> Unless it is some binary newsgroup, this seem unlikely.
>
> None of the four is a binary newsgroup.

[ Please reply to the list! This is from the mail you sent to me: ]
> /cygdrive/c/usr/own/f/p/networks/motzarella> telnet news.motzarella.org nntp
> Trying 85.214.105.209...
> Connected to news.motzarella.org.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 200 news.eternal-september.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.5 ready
> (posting ok).
> MODE READER
> GROUP comp.text.tex

> There was no response in 20 min.  Indeed, the shell (an Emacs shell)
> seems to have died.

Does it work in cmd.exe?  Or can anyone else with access to motzarella
show the result?

On one of the biggest news provides in Germany, I get:

,----
| GROUP comp.text.tex
| 211 3562 328642 332246 comp.text.tex
`----

I doubt that motzarella has an older archive (higher article count)
unless there some bug.

> > The maximum number Gnus can handle depends on your Emacs version and
> > architecture.
> >
> > What is the output of <f1> v most-positive-fixnum RET?
> > You may need to load cl before: M-x load-library RET cl RET

> most-positive-fixnum's value is 134217727

So groups with 100 million postings should work.

>>> I have tried twice to post this query on gnu.emacs.gnus (a
>>> moderated group),
>>
>> gnu.emacs.gnus isn't moderated.
>
> I so interpreted the (m) in the Group buffer.  If it is not moderated,
> then it is all the more mysterious that I cannot succeed in posting to
> it.

All newsservers I have, don't list it as moderated:

,----
| # news.[...].de
| 201 news.[...].de InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.4.4 (20060818 snapshot)
ready (no posting).
| 215 Descriptions in form "group description".
| gnu.emacs.gnus                News reading under GNU Emacs using GNUS (in
English).
<moderator@dana.de> (Moderated)
| 205 .
| # news.[...].de
| 200 news.[...].de DNEWS Version  5.6f3,, S0, posting OK
| 215 list of newsgroup names follow
| de.admin.news.announce        RFDs, CFVs, Zwischen- und Endergebnisse.
(Moderated)
| gnu.emacs.gnus        News reading under GNU Emacs using GNUS (in English).
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,