Re: Gnus: How to catch up huge newsgroups?

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Gnus: How to catch up huge newsgroups?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:28:32 +0100

On Mon, Nov 10 2008, Joe Fineman wrote:

> I tried it in the Cygwin shell.  The shell survived, but I got a
> message "502 Permission denied".

Ah, it needs authentication (The password is shown on the screen, so
be careful!):

$ telnet news.motzarella.org nntp
MODE READER
AUTHINFO USER yourname
AUTHINFO PASS yourpassword
GROUP comp.text.tex

>> Does it work in cmd.exe?
>
> I don't know what cmd.exe is.  How do I get to it?

The command prompt window on windows (aka "DOS prompt")
Start -> Run -> (Enter) cmd.exe

(But you can also use the cygwin shell.)

>       30: alt.quotations
>    30058577: comp.text.tex

Bye, Reiner.
--