Re: Gnus: How to catch up huge newsgroups?

From: Joe Fineman
Subject: Re: Gnus: How to catch up huge newsgroups?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:09:38 -0500

> On Mon, Nov 10 2008, Joe Fineman wrote:
>
>> I tried it in the Cygwin shell.  The shell survived, but I got a
>> message "502 Permission denied".
>
> Ah, it needs authentication (The password is shown on the screen, so
> be careful!):
>
> $ telnet news.motzarella.org nntp
> MODE READER
> AUTHINFO USER yourname
> AUTHINFO PASS yourpassword
> GROUP comp.text.tex

That did the job.  The result for comp.text.tex was indeed 30288629.
So evidently it's for real.

Oddly, however, the result for alt.politics.libertarian, which I have
been reading without difficulty, is also huge: 30645382.

I repeated the experiment of doing c on one of the problem groups in
the Groups buffer.  After a few minutes, it beeped and gave an Emacs
low-memory warning.  This time, however, it did not crash anything.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  One learns a lot from a standoff, a little from a defeat,  :||
||:  and nothing from a victory.                                :||