Re: Meta key recognition

From: tyler
Subject: Re: Meta key recognition
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:17:16 -0400

Fab <wax.resources@gmail.com> writes:

> I use ubuntu and have several keyboard shortcuts defined. Now when I
> use emacs I would like to have these ubuntu shortcuts (using the Meta-
> Key) disabled. How can I approach this?

I don't think you can do this, at least not from within emacs. Anything
that the desktop environment recognizes as a keyboard shortcut will
never be passed on to any applications. I don't know if Gnome allows for
shortcuts that are conditional on which application has focus, but I
doubt it.

What I do (using Fluxbox) is reserve the 'windows' key for
window-manager shortcuts, so that the Alt and Ctrl keys are free for use
within Emacs. Except that I use Alt-tab to switch windows, so I can't
use Alt-tab for anything in Emacs. So far that hasn't been a problem.

Cheers,

Tyler

--
``I have no "intellectual property," and I think that all claimants to
such property are thieves.''           --Wendell Berry

http://home.btconnect.com/tipiglen/resist.html