Re: Combining Ctrl + Super_l + ' (quote) does not work

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Combining Ctrl + Super_l + ' (quote) does not work
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 23:49:46 +0100

Am 12.11.2008 um 21:26 schrieb Yarek Kowalik:

Any clue where I need to tweak to make this work?

You need to do it in X. The command 'xmodmap -pm' should print that both control and both super modifiers have an equal meaning, although the system can distinguish between them. Something like this should be shown:

        xmodmap:  up to 2 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

        shift       Shift_L (0x40),  Shift_R (0x44)
        lock        Caps_Lock (0x41)
        control     Control_L (0x43),  Control_R (0x46)
        mod1        Mode_switch (0x42),  Mode_switch (0x45)
        mod2        Meta_L (0x3f)
        mod3        Super_L (0x2a),  Super_R (0x2f)
        mod4
        mod5

With xmodmap you can make your right and left modifier variants be "on the same level." Xmodmap can use kind of a "script," a file ~/.xmodmaprc that adjusts the details, which is invoked from ~/.xinitrc before the first X client is launched.

GNU Emacs relies on X11.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"We need a president who's fluent in at least one language."
                                – Buck Henry