Re: emacs mode line suggestions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs mode line suggestions
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 22:39:57 +0200

> From: Xah <xahlee@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 15:17:44 -0800 (PST)
>
> > > typically, a user has several user buffers open, and as far as i guess
> > > many programers who use emacs extensively has like hundreds of buffers
> > > open. Cycling them one by one is not much useful.
> >
> > No one in their right mind will cycle buffers.  This feature exists if
> > your buffer is one or two away.  Anything more than that, you should
> > use the menu-bar's Buffers menu (or select the buffer by its name with
> > C-x b).
>
> So, when clicking on the buffer name, showing a menu is more useful
> than cycling buffer.

As I already said, I disagree: if I need to switch to a buffer that is
just one buffer away in either direction, with the current behavior I
get that in one click.  With your suggestion, clicking on the buffer
name would be the same as Buffers from the menu bar, and this
duplication of functionality is a waste of scarce resources, IMO.

> > > switching between modes is not rarely used. I'd estimate it is used
> > > every other hour at least.
> >
> > Please provide some use-cases to back this up.  FWIW, I almost never
> > switch the major mode in the same buffer, unless Emacs didn't switch
> > into the right one to begin with, and even then I only do that once in
> > a given buffer.
>
> those who use *scratch*, or create new buffer, or create new file...
> he may need to switch to the righ lang mode.

Usually, creating a new file with C-x C-f already switches on the
right mode.  And even if Emacs somehow gets this wrong, it's a
one-time event for that buffer.

> Sometimes when such buffer is used as a scratch, programer may have
> more than one lang inserted into it, and may switch to different
> mode for the right syntax coloring.

Is this frequent usage?  I never use Emacs like that, but that's me.