Re: emacs mode line suggestions

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: emacs mode line suggestions
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 02:32:00 -0700

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
Usually, creating a new file with C-x C-f already switches on the right
mode.  And even if Emacs somehow gets this wrong, it's a one-time event
for that buffer.

However, if I create a new buffer with C-x C-b foo.c, it starts in
Fundamental Mode, not C Mode.  Is there a good reason for this, or did it
just happen?  It irritates me quite a bit, but not quite enough to bring
me to fixing it.  ;-)

I think the reason is that auto-mode-alist applies only to file names.
I suppose it is arguable whether that is a good reason or not, but
"fixing" it to apply to buffer names would be a pretty far-reaching
change.

Maybe this would work for you:

(defadvice switch-to-buffer (around interactive-normal-mode activate)
  "When called interactively to create a new buffer not visiting a file,
temporarily bind `buffer-file-name' and call `normal-mode'."
  (let ((existing-buffer (get-buffer (ad-get-arg 0))))
    ad-do-it
    (when (and (interactive-p)
               (null existing-buffer)
               (null buffer-file-name))
      (let ((buffer-file-name (expand-file-name (buffer-name))))
        (normal-mode)))))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA