Re: Byte-compiled elisp libraries on different platforms

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Byte-compiled elisp libraries on different platforms
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 19:42:10 +0100

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 19:29, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> Most, yes, probably. The byte-compiler changes probably affect only a minority
> of code in incompatible ways. But it's enough. ;-)

Hmm. I could be wrong, but I don't remember any changes in the 23.X
byte compiler / interpreter stuff making old (22.X, not 19.X ;-)
byte-code incompatible.
Any such fails is more likely to be from the lisp code than the byte-code.

(Of course 23.X files use a different coding system, so they are not
back-compatible.)

> Agreed. But if the uncompiled code works on two different platforms, then so
> should the byte-compiled code (compiled with the same release #).

"Should" does not imply "must", of course. You can use compile-time
tricks to do almost anything, including generating code which bears no
relation to the original lisp...

             Juanma