Re: Cocoa Emacs 23 & Unicode

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Re: Cocoa Emacs 23 & Unicode
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:33:55 -0800

On Nov 20, 2008, at 3:09 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

Am 20.11.2008 um 23:32 schrieb Ian Eure:

Is this a known issue?

Not the way that you describe it! Check with C-u C-x = which font is actually used ...

Is a fix planned?

It's wishful that X11 and Cocoa Emacs 23 use the font(s) or fontset(s) the user wishes to use. Usually *your* fonts are substituted with rather exotic choices ...

Yeah, I understand that certain code ranges may need to be mapped to different fonts.

For me the Monaco or NimbusMono “” are substituted from STHeiti, a proportional font outside CJK. Both Monaco and NimbusMono have „, “, “, ” ... It's just a bug!

You're right, it's getting changed to STHeiti for those characters. Know of any workarounds?

It seems that the characters are incorrectly mapped into CJK; This is from describe-char:

         category: c:Chinese h:Korean j:Japanese

I've sent a bug report.

 - Ian