Re: Byte-compiled elisp libraries on different platforms

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Byte-compiled elisp libraries on different platforms
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:27:46 +1100

Jonathan Groll <lists@groll.co.za> writes:

> I keep my emacs configuration in a git repository. There are also some
> elisp libaries (cedet/nxml/ etc etc) that are in that repository. Most
> of these libaries have been byte compiled in GNU Emacs 22.
>
> I'd like to be able to use this repository on multiple machines,
> specifically:
> Ubuntu Linux (x86) running GNU Emacs 23
> OS X (intel) running Aquamacs - GNU Emacs 22
> Opensolaris (sparc64) running GNU Emacs 22
>
> Does platform matter for byte-compiled .elc's? What about GNU Emacs 22
> vs 23?

I don't believe platform matters with respect to byte compiled
files. However, 22 v 23 does. While emacs 23 can read elc files
generated by emacs22, it has to do conversions that can have
considerable impact on load time. this is mentioned in the NEWS file
with emacs 23 and advises that new elc files should be created using
emacs 23.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au