OSX terminal, system-wide Chinese input methods

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: OSX terminal, system-wide Chinese input methods
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:37:13 +0800

Hi there,

I'm having a Unicode-related problem which is particularly annoying for being mysterious and only occasional. I use Emacs via Mac OSXs terminal app. I do Chinese text entry using the QIM input method, which is system-wide, under the input methods menu. MOST of the time, Chinese input works correctly in Emacs, while sometimes it comes out garbled. Pasting Chinese text into those buffers also result in garbled text. Buffers sometimes start out garbled, but after I fiddle around for a while, Chinese input suddenly works (it's never gone in the other direction). I'm never really sure what I've done to get it working, but it seems that newly-created buffers have this problem more, while opening files that already have Chinese text in them never causes problems. I use QIM for all programs and don't want to use the Emacs-native input methods. This is my Emacs version:

GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin9.4.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0)

And I've got the following in my .emacs file:

(set-language-environment 'UTF-8)

I also tend to use the TeX input method when editing text-based files.

I ran describe-coding-environment on two different buffers, the first where Chinese input wasn't working, the second on a buffer where it was. There's hardly any difference between the two, but I also noticed that, after doing this, Chinese input HAD started working in the first buffer, so maybe this is already meaningless. You can see my confusion...

Thanks in advance for any hints,

Eric

Originally NOT working:

Coding system for saving this buffer: