Emacs, gdb and runsparc.

From: kidologie
Subject: Emacs, gdb and runsparc.
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:22:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I have a strange requirement where I want to run gdb on a linux
machine, but target a solaris image using a simulator.

The simulator being used is runsol/runsparc. Outside of emacs, I would
do 'runsparc gdb ./<image>' and this works fine. But through emacs I
am having issues. For example:

M-x gdb
 Run gdb as: runsparc /solaris/router/bin/gdb <image>

Error is: "runsparc" is expecting "a native path to a binary or shell
script"

I think what's going on essentially is that, gdb emacs is being handed
an additional command: runsol,  which it is interpreting as being the
debugger. The additional file names are treated as files to be
debugged. By pre-pending the fully-qualified path, emacs is forcing
the change to the CWD to that path.

So I think I need an emacs hook to handle this integration? An
alternative is to actually copy 'gdb' to the working directory and
then this works: M-x gdb: runsparc ./gdb ./<image>

My lisp skills being very rudimentary - any advice would be most
welcome!

Thanks!