Re: "help" key with Cocoa Emacs 23

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: "help" key with Cocoa Emacs 23
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 05:09:45 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 26, 2:17 am, Jonathan Groll <li...@groll.co.za> wrote:
> It seems that the "help" key on an external Apple keyboard is not
> detected by Emacs 23 Cocoa.
>
> C-h k does not detect this key (the "delete" key is detected this
> way).
>
> Previously Aquamacs was able to detect this key, and in Aquamacs this
> key could be rebound with something like:
>
>  (global-set-key [help] 'overwrite-mode)

as far as i know, that key on PC and Apple keyboad probably send the
same scancode, so it's probably only a key label difference.

• Difference Between Apple and PC keyboards
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/apple_pc_kb_diff.html

You can bind anykey you want. See:

--------------------
Q: How to find out the syntax for a particular key press?

Type “Ctrl+h k” (or “Alt+x describe-key”), then press the key
combination. Emacs will then tell you its read syntax as a keyboard
macro. For example, you want to know the syntax for the key press of
“Ctrl+Alt+F8”. Type “Alt+x describe-key” then press “Ctrl+Alt+F8”,
then emacs will print “<C-M-f8> is undefined”. Then, you can use “(kbd
"<C-M-f8>")” to represent that key press combination in lisp code.

Note: There is a lot syntax variations, but the one printed by
“describe-key” is guaranteed to work. For details of emacs's keystroke
syntax variation, see: The Confusion of Emacs's Keystroke
Representation.
--------------------

above is from:

• How to Define Keyboard Shortcuts in Emacs
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/keyboard_shortcuts.html

However, if you were unable to bind the Insert key. That means it's a
bug in Emacs.app. It is a known bug that Emacs.app cannot bind keys to
those on the number keypad. I don't remember, but probably including
those on the Home/End block.

gosh, there are still people who actually used the Insert key
overwrite behavior?

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/