Utilizing Regexp (or something else) to replace an arbitrary string leng

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Utilizing Regexp (or something else) to replace an arbitrary string length of the same character with the same string length of another character.
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:41:08 -0500

Hello Everyone,

I have a bunch of arbitrarily long strings of '=' characters and I
would like to replace them one for one with '-' characters.  I know I
could do this with a simple find and replace using isearch, but that
would require me going through them one at a time.  I'm wondering if
there's a way to do this with a regex such as:

    r/(=+)/-{length of n}

Obviously that's a major bastardization of syntax and doesn't really
exist in any language, but I figure this should be able to be done in
Emacs somehow.

Thanks in advance!

--

In Christ,