Re: Utilizing Regexp (or something else) to replace an arbitrary string

From: tyler
Subject: Re: Utilizing Regexp (or something else) to replace an arbitrary string length of the same character with the same string length of another character.
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 21:01:26 -0400

"Tim Visher" <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:

> Yeah, I did consider using replace-string and query-replace-string and
> their ilk.  The issue is that I use the characters I want to replace
> at other locations where I don't want them replaced.  Also, I want to
> replace an arbitrary amount of them at one time.  I actually already
> did the edits that I want done by using query-replace-string.
> However, if the document had been much longer, that really would've
> taken too long.  It doesn't sound like there's a quick way to do this
> in Emacs.  Oh well.

This brings to mind the old chestnut:

  Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I’ll use
  regular expressions." Now they have two problems. --Jamie Zawinski

Evaluate the following (C-x C-e with point after the final ')' ), then
call it with `M-x switcheroo' when point is before the sample text below.
It solves your problem, as I understand it.

(defun switcheroo ()
  "Replaces multiple consecutive '=' chars with the same number of '*'.
Single '=' are left unmolested"
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (while (search-forward "=")