Re: Possible to rebind C-m to a function? (like any other control key

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Re: Possible to rebind C-m to a function? (like any other control key combo?)
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 00:08:22 +0100

seberino@spawar.navy.mil wrote:
On Nov 28, 6:04 am, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Nov 27, 11:30 pm, "seber...@spawar.navy.mil"

<seber...@spawar.navy.mil> wrote:
There seems to be some special use for C-m as I cannot rebind it to a
function of my choosing like start-kbd-macro.
Is there anyway to make C-m into a "normal" combo I can bind like all
the others?
there are ways but that gets into pretty hairy emacs customization.

Ctrl+m is same as Enter in emacs. Best to avoid rebinding it.
Similar is Ctrl+i and Tab key.

Thanks.  If someone had done the work already I'd still like to do it.
Why? C-i is sooo natural for an insert function and C-m is sooo
natural for a macro function.

Chris

You can do it, at least in a windowed emacs:

(global-set-key [return]
                #'(lambda nil (interactive)
                    (message "This is RETURN.")))

(global-set-key [13]
                #'(lambda nil (interactive)
                    (message "This is C-m.")))
;; undo
(progn
  (global-unset-key [return])
  (global-set-key [13] 'newline))

The problem, I think, is that most libraries end up
binding C-m and not [return] (likewise for C-i and [tab]).
So you have to always rebind after some mode has stolen
the C-m key (to [return]).

-ap