Re: isearch key bindings [was: Why function behaves differently when bou

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: isearch key bindings [was: Why function behaves differently when bound to different key combo?]
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:38:42 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 28, 12:54 pm, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:
> > (global-set-key (kbd "M-s") 'isearch-forward)
> > (global-set-key (kbd "M-S") 'isearch-backward)
>
> Yes, but why would anybody want M-s to be isearch?

isearch is one of the most frequently used command (roughly within top
15). See:

• Emacs's Command Frequency
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/command-frequency.html

under my ergonomic keybinding map, frequently used keys are on home
row. So, isearch is on homerow, and it happens to be on key for the
right pinky. On dvorak, that's s. I pulled the code example from my
map, so that's how it's is s.

• A Ergonomic Keyboard Shortcut Layout For Emacs
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html

> If you put that functionality inisearch-mode-hook, you'll rebind these
> keys EVERY time you start anisearch.  I suppose, with the power of
> modern PCs, you won't notice too much, but the cells in theisearchkey
> map might get a little worn out.  :-)

Thanks. I haven't thought of that. I'll have to make it minor mode
soon.

> > PS when you look intoisearch'smap, you'll notice that it defines
> > quite a lot other features/shortcuts. I'd say, 90% of them are never
> > used once for those who have 4 years of emacs experience . For veteran
> > emacs diehards, say those who used emacs over 10 years, if i can make
> > a guess with my 10 years of daily emacs use and observation of other
> > emacs users, i'd say 50% of the shortcuts provided byisearchare
> > never used once in their life.
>
> I think you're very wrong there.  Different users will use different
> subsets of them, but do feel free to try to identify those which are
> never used.  I think you'd be surprised.

Alan, do you have accumalated more keystroke for the stat?

the best way to objectively find out what commands are actually most
frequently used, is thru the stat program.

If you could, please tell your friends, and other developers on the
emacs list to try the command frequency.el.

http://xahlee.org/emacs/command-frequency.el

when we have a the stat from lots people, then a good look on emacs
keybinding can be had.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/