render of big header is too slow

From: davemilter
Subject: render of big header is too slow
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:14:05 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

at now I often edit big enough header files with C code.
font-lock-mode is on.
And when I start scrolling, emacs eats 100% of cpu,
and do something, I suppose syntax highlight (may be there is internal
emacs `top'
to find out what it do?).
Sometimes even single "page up" or "page down" command,
cause 1 minute of 100% CPU eating.

For example, currently openned file is about 368K, 4988 lines.

I play with jit-lock-mode, in most cases for such kind of files it
helps,
but it looks like hack, I need to find suitable timeouts, and they
different depend on machine load.

And I wonder may be I do something wrong,
because of it is strange that on 1913.173 Mhz machine with
1Gb of memory rendering of 4988 lines of code cause such
problems.

PS
I tried GNU Emacs 22.3.1
and GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (from cvs)

PS PS
I tried another editors like kate and gvim,
they work as expected take not more then 1-2 seconds to render such
kind of file, and then scrolling works very fast.