Re: OSX terminal, system-wide Chinese input methods

From: 锁住子
Subject: Re: OSX terminal, system-wide Chinese input methods
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 02:10:33 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 21, 6:15 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 21.11.2008 um 05:37 schrieb Eric Abrahamsen:
>
> > (set-language-environment 'UTF-8)
>
> It might be better not to use this statement but have in the shell
> from which you launch Carbon Emacs environment variables LANG and
> LC_CTYPE which are set to some Chinese UTF-8 value, zh_TW.UTF-8,
> zh_HK.UTF-8, zh_CN.UTF-8 – or can zh_CN.GB18030, zh_CN.GB2312,
> zh_CN.GBK be more appropriate?
>
> Set-language-environment has many side-effects. If you're not content
> with the new setup, you can use statements like
>
>         (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
>         (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
>         (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8m)
>
> etc. to help Emacs do the right thing.

I think I've figured out another level to this problem -- when Chinese
input isn't working right, and then I use find-file to navigate into a
directory which is named in Chinese, I see the following in
*Messages*:

and a few other lines of that ilk, following which everything works
correctly. I've tried directly evaluating (load subst-gb2312) etc,
which simply produces an error. Does anyone know what this subst-*
means, and how I can load it automatically as a text-mode hook?

Thanks, Eric