Re: Inappropriate advocacy [Was: wikipedia's (ascii) math notation? emac

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Inappropriate advocacy [Was: wikipedia's (ascii) math notation? emacs easy-way to translate it?]
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 15:17:07 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 2, 4:23 pm, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:
> Hi,Xah!
>
> On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 10:22:01AM -0800,XahLee wrote:
> > When tech geekers speak of TeX, they often speak of in the domain of
> > mathematical knowledge presentation and publishing. In the math
> > knowledge presentation, i am a expert, and personally known that
> > <proprietary product> is a ORDER OF MAGNITUDE better than TeX.
>
> Everybody is asked not to advocate non-free products on the GNU
> mailing-lists/newsgroups, even when on-topic.  There are other forums
> where one can do this (e.g. comp.emacs).
>
> Please don't do this again on help-gnu-emacs.  Thanks!

It's not advocacy. The discussion disgressed to whether TeX is the
best typesetting software.

I quote the original message by David: “It's called TeX.  Probably the
best type setting software out there.”.

I pointed out that it is a myth. I pointed out, in summary, i claim
that in fact Mathematica, FrameMaker, QuarkXPress are all better as
judged by professionals in their respective fields.

Also, please understand that mentioning of other software here is not
advocacy. For example, Google, Yahoo, MSN's search engine service,
Apple's Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows OS and Microsoft Word, TextMate
editor, Safari and Opera browsers, various distribution of Linuxes
Desktops that are not sactioned by Free Software Foundation, several
Unix™es, are all frequently mentioned, and sometimes digressed into
debate on their merits.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/