Re: Getting Info to find extra pkgs not in normal path

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: Getting Info to find extra pkgs not in normal path
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:00:51 -0600

Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:

> It's there but not in the 'dir' file :
>
> (info "stumpwm")
>
> dir files will be merged by emacs, so you can create
> one for your local additions. Probably by copying the
> systems one from /usr/share/info/dir or wherever, delete
> all entries after '* Menu:' and put in your own.
>
> (info "(texinfo)Other Info Directories")

That section shows several ways to do it, but I find at least two of
them don't seem to work for me... probably something I'm doing wrong.

Before posting here about it I had tried to extend INFOPATH in my
~/.bashrc file like this:

  grep INFO ~/.bashrc
  INFOPATH=$INFOPATH:/usr/local/src/stumpwm:/usr/local/gnus/texi

  The Stand Alone info reader finds stumpwm but emacs does not

Using the approach of adding my own dir file.  (inlined below) at
/usr/local/info/dir, inside a freshly started emacs

  `C-h i m stumpwm'  fails

My attempt appears to follow the example given:
 `
   * Test: (/home/bob/info/info-test).  Bob's own test file. '

On the stumpwm line shown here the address ends in the top level
directory. The info file is directly under there. I  also tried (not
shown here) by putting the complete file name:

   (/usr/local/src/stumpwm/stumpwm.info)

Do you see something wrong in both or either of my attempts (including
the INFO path approach?

  cat /usr/local/info/dir

  Local info files (updates by user reader)

  * Stumpwm: (/usr/local/src/stumpwm/stumpwm.info).  stump manual.