Re: Contacting Richard Stallman

From: tyler
Subject: Re: Contacting Richard Stallman
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 15:32:57 -0400

"yannis antsos" <yannis.antsos@gmail.com> writes:

> Can you guys please reply ???????
>
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 1:31 PM, yannis antsos
> <yannis.antsos@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am sorry to directly bother you. I searched on groups.google and
>> various web but could not find the answer. I opened an emacs in my
>> windows XP a few days ago and pasted a number of info in the
>> *scratch* and the windows yesterday night did autoupdate killing the
>> process possibly. Any ideas where can I find the temporary file and
>> what may it look like ? in the autosaves, there was an empty file
>> corresponding to that name. i have not used the emacs from that
>> account where it was opened for that scratch buffer.

First off, rms already directed you here for help, there is no reason to
continue to cc him.

As for your problem: as I understand it, autosave isn't enabled by
default for the scratch buffer. So any information in this buffer is
lost unless explicitly saved when emacs closes. The idea is that scratch
is for quick notes, working out bits of elisp - things that are not
needed beyond the current session.

If you open a new file, it *will* be set to autosave, even before you
save it for the first time. So you can avoid this problem by opening a
new file called 'tmp', or whatever, and putting your info in there
instead of in scratch. I know that doesn't solve your immediate problem,
but it will help you avoid it recurring in future.

Cheers,

Tyler