Re: auto starting emacs -- Win XP

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: auto starting emacs -- Win XP
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:58:01 +0100

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> Trying to use emacs (org mode) to time-track my activities -- this is
> on Windows XP.
> Clearly the ergonomics will be best served if emacs automatically pops
> up every time I 'login.'
>
> Now in linux I know how to catch 'events' like
> -- login -- put handler in .bashprofile/gnome startup programs etc
> -- logoff -- trap something
> -- machine start -- handler in a suitable /etc/init.d
> etc
>
> The question is how does one do this on windows for the login event.
>
> I dont even know if its called 'login' -- its the event that happens
> when user sees the "This screen is locked" message and gives his name
> and password.
>
> Once I know how to do this I guess I can cook up a call to emacsclient
> that hooks to some elisp code that does what I want. I just dont know
> how to start the process!

Click on Start (the button on the down left corner of the screen), then
Programs, then Startup, press the right mouse button under the (possibly
empty) list of programs that appears, on the menu that appears go to
New, then Shortcut. A dialog appears, asking you the program you want to
execute. Direct it to runemacs.exe on your emacs binary directory. Press
`Next' button, give a name to the shortcut, such as Emacs. Press Finish
button. After login, windows executes the programs listed on the
`Startup' folder.

--
Oscar