Visual Feedback in Undo/Redo

From: Nordlöw
Subject: Visual Feedback in Undo/Redo
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 03:10:32 -0800 (PST)

I often get a feeling of being a bit lost when navigation large undo/
redo histories. I have two suggestions on how to reduce this
"lostness":

1. Provide a rational number X/N at the end of undo/redo minibuffer
message where X is the current position in the undo/redo history and N
is the size of the whole history. This directly applies to the
behaviour of redo.el but I don't know how to apply this concept Emacs
vanilla undo-behaviours as all undos are add to the undo history. I
believe a tree-based history structure would be more intutitive but of
course more complicated to visualize. I have tried to implement the X/
N feedback in redo.el but the complexity of this file is above my
current capacity as an elisp programmer.

2. Highlight undo/redo-history entries in the buffer like is done in
isearch-mode.
  - Next upcoming kill is highlighted in a stronger colored red face
or perhaps even better overstriked in red.
  - The rest of the pending kills are highlighted like the next kill
but in a more red-fainter color.
  - Already performed inserts could be highlighted in some opposite
attribute say in green color but without the overstrike attribute.

Comments on that?

/Nordlöw