Re: Copy from emacs to Ubuntu clipboard

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Copy from emacs to Ubuntu clipboard
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 16:49:43 +0100

Am 15.12.2008 um 14:55 schrieb Jason Rumney:

Look on elder Sun keyboards, Type 3 and Type 4! On the left side were
extra-keys titled Copy and Paste.

Past tense? You mean Sun stopped making keyboards with the extra
function keys down the left hand side? The last one I saw was a USB
keyboard, so I assumed they were here to stay.

OK, Sun Type 5 keyboards had still the left extra columns, and were still not USB (Mini-DIN connector, like PS/2 mice and other keyboards). I did not like them because of their design, piece taken from a cylinder, by which the function keys were very high and showed kind of a steep rise. And the mouse still was connected to the keyboard. So only one cable stuck in the Sun. I think the Type 5c keyboard had an improved usability.

The Type 6 keyboard was more useful then the Type 5. It definitely had a mechanical mouse. Again the mouse was connected to the keyboard, which had a Mini-DIN connector. This keyboard has some extra "multi-media" keys in continuation of the usual function keys row. It was later converted to become an USB keyboard – if it hasn't been this from the start! For PC keyboards adapters existed from Mini- DIN to USB, so presumingly all keyboards manufactured during the last five or six years are USB under the hood. I wonder whether such an USB keyboard also stops the Sun when being detached ... (Mini-DIN connectors can toggle miniature switches built into the receptacle.)

The recent Type 7 keyboard I only know from having it seen once or twice. It has a more PC keyboard like look, I don't remember whether it has the two separated extra columns on the left. I do remember a particular key by which the Sun can be put to sleep. And make it awake, too.

I'm a bit biased to the Type 4 keyboards. They worked better!

--
Greetings

  Pete

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.