Re: list files in dired case insensitive order

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: list files in dired case insensitive order
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 05:32:03 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 14, 10:08 am, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > is it possible to order dir/files in dired so that it's case
> > insensitive? i.e. i don't want dir or file starting with caps grouped
> > together on top.
>
> There are no doubt several ways. I use these libraries:
> dired-sort-menu.el
> dired-sort-menu+.el
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiredSortMenu

i just downloaded it from the new url you posted the source:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/dired-sort-menu.el

then i eval-buffer. Then went to a dir and pulled the menu
“Immediate‣Sort by‣” and don't see anything about “case insenstive”.
Then i tried “Immediate‣Sort by‣Unsort” out of curiosity, then it
says:
“insert-directory: Listing directory failed but `access-file' worked”.

Btw, the original link:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiredSortMenu

still doesn't work for me.

At this point, more time spent to get this work is not worthwhile than
the minor incovenience.

This is why i hate tech geek diddling or “play with” source code or
compiling emacs, and why it is important to have everything by
default, because that usually garantee some quality assurance.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/