Re: How change value of any variable at run time? (not just in .emacs w/

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: How change value of any variable at run time? (not just in .emacs w/ setq!)
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 20:30:49 GMT

seberino@spawar.navy.mil (2008-12-17 12:16 -0800) wrote:

> How change value of any variable at run time? (not just in .emacs)
>
> I can use setq in .emacs but I don't know about run time.
> Thanks,

    M-x set-variable

You can also evaluate any code with M-: so this also works:

    M-: (setq variable ...)

And you can enter the code to any buffer (*scratch* buffer, for
example), then put the point after the closing parent of the code part
you want to evaluate and press C-x C-e (eval-last-sexp).

For more info:

    C-h r m Variables RET